Monday, April 4, 2011

For The Women In My Life

Over the past few months, I've been doing a lot of reflecting about all of this political hullabaloo. I stand in solidarity with union members, public workers and educators. But beyond those issues of the moment, I have noticed a larger-level trend that concerns me greatly. I am befuddled by the lack of confidence I have seen in women's willingness to engage in the political process. I discussed this in an earlier post and it freakin' scares me.

For whatever reason, I know and observe smart women who don't vote. I've heard some of them say:

I don't feel confident.

I don't know where to even start looking for information with all the confusing things out there.

I don't want to rock the boat with my husband/partner who thinks differently than me.

I just don't want to be involved.

It doesn't affect me.

Being involved is distasteful.

Politics are divisive and I don't want to engage in something that could upset people.

I'll admit I haven't heard all of these things directly, but I have heard most of them out of the mouths of people I know and it upsets me so.

Sure, I could fault individual women, but I won't. At the core, I think it's about many women not feeling they have a place to go for accurate and independent information. I think it's about many women questioning their ability to make their own choice. Or about their waning confidence in voicing it publicly for fear of what others will think. And yes, I also think it's about the patriarchy and misogyny that are alive and well today. Because it's so unbecoming (* read intense and excruciating eye roll) for a woman to speak up loud and proud, isn't it? Yeah, I said it. And you know what else, I'm sick of being labeled a b*itch for saying the exact thing that would be "funny" coming out of a man's mouth.

Women fought and died for this right less than a century ago. It is worth talking about. It's not just important, it's vital. A woman's vote is a defense of her right to speak up and each individual voice is so needed.

I want to work toward a day where all women feel confident to step up to the ballot box and make an informed choice no matter what side of a particular issue they come down on. So, in pursuit of that goal, today I joined the League of Women Voters of Milwaukee County. One step closer to living in line with my values.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! Often on FB I see women replying to political posts but they dilute their statements with humor, disclaimers or endearing comments and emoticons - even if it was their post to begin with. In the very same comment string the guys will just blatantly state their opinion without these niceties... arg. Say it loud! Say it proud! And vote!!

    ReplyDelete