Saturday, September 3, 2011

Fireplace Facelift

One afternoon back in April I started peeling paint off of our mantel without really giving thought to how much work it would be to refinish the thing. At that time the only thing on my mind what that it was a travesty for someone to paint over lovely woodwork.

Ry didn't really want to tackle this job, full-well knowing the work involved, but I didn't give him a choice. Thankfully, he is sweet of heart and possesses home improvement skills. I am a lucky woman who is overjoyed for this change that improves the quality of our living space. We are finally on our way to a cozy living room after a year of sitting in the kitchen!


Peeling process. I helped with this stage, though I'll admit I helped with nothing afterward.


Sanding the oak after scraping and stripping original varnish.


Resting with mask on forehead, admiring hard work.


Applying new stain.


After the last coat of varnish.


Next step, purple living room! Hence the furniture pushed to the middle of the room. I dislike these colors that belong to the former owner with my whole soul. Glad we will have something new in the near future.

2 comments: