Thursday, February 4, 2010

Phenomenal Woman

I just finished eleven staff evaluations over the last ten days. I generally torture myself over writing them, but after days (read: weeks) of worrying I kicked my a*s into gear and spent many early mornings at the computer with a big cup of coffee (Thanks Al & Beckie - ever since you gave us those new cups I have drastically increased my caffeine intake). I spent several weeks time writing the evaluations and then hours of time (probably 15 total) meeting with my supervisees to discuss them. I really enjoyed this sit down time with each woman to talk openly about her performance and where she fits in our overall staff team.

I had them do self-evaluations before the meeting, so when they came that was the first thing we did together. Strangely, these self-evaluations took the bulk of each meeting. I sat and listened to them share their insights into the work they do, how they interact with others, how they see themselves, how they balance the many demands on their time and what they hoped to accomplish by taking on the Resident Assistant (RA) role. I was struck by how wise and self-aware most of them were in their assessments. I was also reminded just how lucky I am to interact with them daily and watch them slowly grow into new people affected by their time in a pivotal peer-leadership role.

Lately, I have felt such strong emotions for my students, especially the women in my residence hall. All of them. The ones who work for me. The ones who have worked for me. The 347 who live with me currently. Even every young person who's ever caused me worry or angst related to their stupid behavior. I'm aware I now have less time left here than I've ever had before. I know that I am leaving soon and it makes me sad. For those of you that have heard me talk (ad nauseum) or even complain (I never do that, right?) about my job, this probably comes as a shock to you. But I have been rocked by perspective about the experiences and relationships I've been blessed with here at Marquette.

I'm sad to leave these students behind and nervous to move out of the halls into real life. I know things are going to change for me in big ways, ways that I can't even begin to anticipate yet. I actually got teary at the end of an evaluation today because I knew I wouldn't be here to see what that phenomenal woman would have to offer in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment