Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Carrot Ginger Soup

One of the things that makes our "house" (if you can call an eight-story dorm that) a home, is our cooking. It's something we each love to do and most of the time love to do together. Ryan is a master of both precision and bread baking in the kitchen. I am a master of hearty improvisation. Ryan is our primary cook and I generally view our tiny kitchen as his domain. When (fingers crossed) we move into the new house I believe this will change due to the increase in space. Right now we can't even fit in there together. I am our secondary cook. When I cook I'm usually doing it to find some me time.

Monday afternoon I stole away some time to cook an easy favorite, Carrot Giner Soup, for dinner. I pulled this recipe out of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel several fall seasons ago. That year my sister, Greta, bought me a cookbook for Christmas and I said, "how did you know I wanted this?" and she responded, "duh, you're pulling recipes out of the newspaper". I made it once back then when I was living on my own and we've made it several times as a couple and for company. Once pureeded it's a lovely bright color and after we made a few vegan modifications we liked it even better. The original calls for a lot of butter that causes it to become overly rich.

Getting ready to cook I threw on my Teva sandals (gotta get 'em broken back in for Mexico City) and a recording from a 2006 Ryan Adam's show at Das Haus. I pumped the tunes, which always make me think of when Ryan and I first met. The version of Magnolia Mountain from this show is our song, but at 13 minutes long we elected not to play it at the wedding.

Me in Ry's apron and my Teva's blasting Ryan Adams. The ubiquitous mirror shot.

I prepped all of the ingredients for the soup, very easy. Carrots, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, olive oil, veggie broth. I even ground the corriander in Ry's hand powered coffee mill. Notice the peeled ginger bulb suspended in a jar of vodka. He discovered this technique online because we were never able to use our ginger fast enough before it would mold. You can keep it like this in the fridge for months. I also reserved the ginger-infused vodka. I'm hoping to cook up a special martini soon.

Sauteed the garlic, onions and ginger until translucent, but not brown.

Added carrots and veggie broth.

Let simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Took it to the blender or food processor in small batches. Be careful and stick the small batches or you'll end up with a wet, hot mess.

The beautiful finished product! The recipe calls for option fresh chive garnish, which we've never done. I imagine it would taste delicious, but we've been lazy about it.

Addendum: Ryan says I should add the recipe to please loyal fans.
- Several tablespoons of olive oil into the pan (alternately you can add butter)
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed (I'd add more, personally)
- 1/4 cup diced fresh ginger
Add all of the following to the pot and sautee for approximately 10 minutes.
- 1 and 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- Approximately 6 cups veggie or chicken broth
Add to the pot and let simmer for 20-30 minutes until carrots are tender.
Blend in small batches. Add salt, pepper, ground corriander to taste. Garnish with chopped chive. May be made in advance and refrigerated for several days.

Ryan is always saying we should cook for more people and invite more people over. I get squeamish about this, the same way I get nervous about answering the phone. But he's right, we should. So, I'm going to make an effort to step out of my comfort zone in this regard. Also, if you want to come eat with us, invite yourself over. I'm not kidding. Help give me that extra little push.

Though, in a few weeks that will mean eating vegan with us because we've both committed to the vegan year pledge. When we return from our trip to Mexico City, we will cease eating animal products. We are not going to take it too extreme. We will still wear animal products and use them if necessary. I speak for myself in saying that I will also still eat honey. For us, it's going to be about health, not specifically animal rights. However, to be realistic, industrial food systems and animal rights are all tied up in our global health.

I also commit to not being preachy, 'cause I hate that. It's a personal choice for me, just like eating whatever you please is your personal choice. I also want to say here and now that I don't want anyone to worry about what I will eat if we go out socially or eat at your house. I will do my best to be prepared and draw little attention to my eating needs, knowing that if I can't eat now, I can surely eat something in a few hours when I'm home.

For the record, I am 5' 4" and weigh 177 pounds, which is ridiculous. I am unhealthy, stressed, in pain often (digestive and muscle) and out of shape. I want to radically change my lifestyle and I know several people personally who have achieved that very goal through veganism. I will support myself in this goal, knowing it's self-chosen. I'm also hoping you will support me in this goal, which is why I am explaining it here.

We armed ourselves with several new cookbooks, including the mother of all vegan cookbooks, Veganomicon, by the creators of the Post Punk Kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. If you check the local Adventist church they should be able to hook you up with not only vegan recipes but they usually have health food store built into the church that are open to the public and cheaper then your local market. just a thought.
    your guys are brave i can do the Lacto-ovo vegetarianism, but not complete Vegan. plus ask my Mom she was Vegan for 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bit about the ginger in vodka! I have some half-peeled ginger in the frigde right now. I will definitely do this!

    The soup sounds delicious. I'll have to add it to my ever-growing list of things to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ginger trick works wonders. That ginger was already several weeks old and it maintained all of its flavor. Whatever vodka taste was in the ginger burned off when I heated it up. Go for it! The recipe is so easy.

    ReplyDelete