Wednesday, March 10, 2010

You Know You're Working Too Much When...

You dial '9' before a number on your cell phone and wonder why you can't get through.

I realized upon making it home today that I left an entire drawer full of clothes in my room at the Chicago Sheraton. I'd been trying to call the hotel to report the items left behind and kept getting an error message from Verizon Wireless. I finally went to my office to call the hotel. The Security Supervisor says the room was checked again and no one has seen my clothes. Yeah, right. I bet some maid is wearing my lovely new turquoise sweater as I type.

I went back into the apartment and Ryan was on the phone with Verizon Wireless asking about our connection to the Chicago network and why our phones weren't working correctly. Then while he was on hold he asked me to look at the call record and realized that I'd been dialing '9' before the number each time. We laughed as we explained this to the Verizon Rep who must have thought we were idiotic. The fact that I am so accustomed to dialing an outside line on my work phone should tell me something about how much I'm working.

This conference experience has inspired me some but also left me with a lot of unanswered questions about what I'm doing. I'm just not completely career motivated as some of the old grad colleges I encountered there seem to be. I want a family and hope that role of dedicated parent will be some of the most important work I do in my life.

Regarding the job search, there are about five jobs that have opened for which I'm going to apply. I need to get on it ASAP.

Regarding the house, the appraisal is complete and we know our offer is a reasonable one. Hopefully this helps the bank get moving on considering our offer.

Tonight Ryan made a homemade pizza and we watched several episodes of The Wire to unwind. I'm still ornery about my once-worn, now stolen sweaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment