Thursday, April 1, 2010

Stick Fight at St. Francis Seminary

We've been on a little bit of an animal product binge prior to the start of our vegan year. We take the leap right after we return from Mexico. Since we realized we only had a few short weeks to eat certain things we love but won't be able to experience for a year, we've gone a little overboard, to say the least. Similar to the Mardi Gras concept, though it's lasted much longer. Honestly, it's approaching fat month, not just a fat day. Among the list of things we had to have: artisinal cheeses, lots of homemade pizza, a Kopp's bacon cheeseburger, Leon's custard, and wine reduction steak/frites from Coquette Cafe. My overwhelming realization in all of this gluttony is how underwhelmed I've been by all of the "last" food experiences I've attempted to create. Nothing has approached the orgasmic, nearly forbidden food joy I'd hoped for. That's probably a good reminder for me as I attempt to make a major life change related to sustenance where I will surely experience much frustration.

Ry and I went to Cafe Lulu for dinner. It's been one of my favorites for years now and I wanted a special salad with goat cheese that will soon be off limits. The salad was great, but the environment was totally annoying. I had to muster all of my strength to deal with the super loud music, excessive smoke, ridiculous hipsters (think tight t-shirts, eighties bicycling hats in primary colors, and nothing better to do at 4:30pm on a Thursday than get wasted and chain smoke American Spirits).

We escaped the restaurant as soon as we were done and drove to the St. Francis Seminary. We walked up a long drive leading to Seminary that is bordered by a row of tall, mature maples on each side. We sat on some of the steps on a hill leading up to the monastery, looking at the trees and watching people walk by with their dogs. I picked at little maples plants sprouting out of the sidewalk cracks from last fall's whirly-gigs (or whatever you call those little maple tree spinny things). We admired a big willow tree from a distance that we thought we might be able to climb. Once we got up close we realized it was a no-go. Too tall without much to hold on to. Ry gathered groups of willow branches that had fallen to the ground and started whipping them around to make whoosing noises. This eventually led to us picking up larger branches and have a stick fight, like little kids playing with "swords". I lost when my sword broke in half.

We walked over to a lovely little path on the grounds where the Stations of the Cross displayed. We followed the Stations and Ry narrated each one to me. Since neither of us are really familiar with the Stations of the Cross, each commentary came out something like, "and in this one, Jesus is holding his cross and being whipped". Which made me a giggle a little inside, because I could have come up with that by looking at the pictures. It made me want to learn more about the significance of the Stations of the Cross within Catholic tradition.

We drove up Oklahoma to check out "our house" as we do sometimes. It always looks the same, nothing new. I marvel to myself that we are going through quite a process for the same little stone house that still sits there each time we drive by. We always drive by at my request and I'm not really sure what I'm expecting to see.

We rounded out our night with a trip to the Target on 43rd street, since we were close. What a mistake after the serenity of the Seminary. I hadn't been there in months since I've been doing most of our basic household needs shopping by walking to the Walgreen's up the street from our apartment. I think I'll stick to that plan. Target is too hectic and soul-killing for me. However, we did get sun tan lotion and Immodium AD for Mexico. I'm hoping I won't need the Immodium, but I think that's a naive wish. One day until we head South of the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment