Monday, October 25, 2010

Irony

When I created this blog I didn't have a house or a mantel. I guess its name was just a hopeful vision, a metaphor for the way I wanted to see our family and the home life I imagined we'd build together. Fast forward ten months and we actually have a crowded mantel in a lovely little house that's just right for us.

We invited our friends Kevan and Alicia over for dinner yesterday and even though it was relatively warm, I decided I wanted to test out our fire place to make our abode even cozier. I explored the flue and peered up what I could see of the chimney's inside with a flashlight. I gave it a go and built a small fire to see if the smoke would rise. All seemed well enough. Except, that Ry and I found the smell of woodsmoke a little overpowering. We love campfires. I've always dreamed of having a fire place. Of all the things I imagined, I never imagined that I might not love the smell of woodsmoke in my living room.

1 comment: