Saturday, October 23, 2010

Love For The Library

This week has been utterly swallowed up by work. Not in the same way it used to be, where I'd work until the wee hours of the night responding to emergencies or leading staff meetings. But just days full to the point of bursting and spilling over a bit into the early evening, though largely pleasant and stimulating. I still get several hours of my night time at home, which this week has gone to running errands, doing laundry and unexpected pop-ins from family.

On Tuesday night we made it to the main Milwaukee Public Library in search of a specific book, a memoir, I'd been looking for called Losing The Garden. I heard an NPR interview with the author that was haunting and reflective. The book revolves around Laura Waterman's back-to-the-land-movement-style life as a homesteader in rural Vermont, her husband's long battle with inner demons (likely bipolar disorder), their marriage and his eventual suicide. The thing that makes their story a little different is the fact that he expressed his desire to end his life to Laura and she allowed him to make this choice by hiking up into the White Mountains and freezing to death. Sounds morbid and I'm not too far into it, so I don't know for sure, but what I gathered from the interview was that this memoir was a reflection on their life together and her process of deconstructing this choice and its effect on both of them. The thing that drew me in was the idea of learning more about their successful life as homesteaders for over 20 years and my interest in all things mental health, particularly understanding and preventing suicide.

After I found the book, I spent time roaming the library and exploring. I love this library and I always have. Though it's downtown, my family house was close enough that I could easily scoot down Wisconsin Avenue to spend time there and benefit from the much larger holding than my own near-suburban branch of the library. The grand mosaic-tiled entryway capped by a rotunda, the wide marble columns, the sweet smell of old, humid paper and even the homeless men who are invariably hanging out all the time peppering the steps or enjoying the warmth and comfort of the interior make it a homey and familiar place for me.

On the way in I checked out the display books, which usually peak my interest and I pick something out I didn't expect. This time it was Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating by Erik Marcus. Since I still have a desire to be vegan, but I've been finding it difficult, I thought it might be helpful to gain additional motivation and purpose to move a step back in that direction. Even though it wasn't what I came for, I've read almost the entire book already and found it fascinating.

After I located the book I came for, I wandered up and down the maze of the stacks looking for Ry, but couldn't find him. So, I decided to check out the Children's Library. I'd never been in this part of the library, but when we walked past the large windows outside, I saw the metal cutout of a playful looking lizard on top of one of the pendant lights and it made me giggle. When I was wandering inside, I realized this lamp must be in the kids section, so I decided to visit. I also love children's books and often think it would be interesting to try and write one, perhaps even work with my sister Greta or Ry's brother Steven, both artists who could illustrate. Ah, food for thought, another fleeting idea. Maybe someday. The Children's Library was thoughtfully decorated with several interactive displays, many colorful picture books, a reading area and computers equipt with learning programs.

On my way out I noticed a picture book with print illustrations in the New Arrivals area called Seasons by Blexbolex. It looked colorful and made me smile, so I decided to take it home with me. Upon further inspection, I learned the Blexbolex is a French print-artist who has a very particular style that is both retro and contemporary at the same time. The book was originally released in France last year. When I looked at the pictures and the sentiments it expressed, it seemed utterly French to me. Something that brought me a moment of connection with my French studies in college and even earlier.







My love for the library is strong, as well as many other public ventures that improve peoples' quality of life. Public library, public radio, public television, public healthcare, public education, public parks, public assistance for those who are struggling. In light of the current election cycle, I guess that makes me a communist. A healthy, well-feed, well-read, well-educated and happy communist.

I've been keeping a running tally of the books I've read throughout 2010 and am gearing up for a year-end book-roll where I'll revisit them with synopses and brief reviews. Not sure whether this will truly be interesting to readers, but I think it will be an interesting and useful reflection time for me. So, as the holiday season and new year approaches, get ready!

Finally, there's not been much cooking this week, but I did make my usual Sunday pot of experimental soup with cupboard staples and all leftover vegetables that need to be used up. Ry made homemade sourdough English muffins, a hearty sourdough miche, and a country sourdough round with a leaf stencil decoration.


Tomato, kale, potato soup with rosemary. Michigan brie, Rothkase herbed smoked cheese from Holland. Homemade sourdough. La Vielle Ferme red wine.


Sourdough miche. Ry's own creation.


Leaf stenciled country sourdough round.


Slashing detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment