Friday, January 22, 2010

A Bird Chorus

One of the benefits of my job: I don't commute. So, whenever I'm out in rush hour it's pretty overwhelming to me. I can't believe how frenzied people become on their trips to work, especially in the morning. Yesterday I was almost bowled over by several cars passing on the right because they were too impatient to wait for someone making a left turn. So, I backed up on the curb and waited for the light.

I walked down the Avenue on an errand in late afternoon today. The frenzy of it all struck me as usual. There was a homeless man laying on the sidewalk outside the new administration building. I stopped to ask the group around him if things were alright and they answered "yes, the paramedics are on their way" so I carried on. As I walked past the Jesuit Residence I noticed something lovely - a giant bird chorus. The Jesuits have a secret little garden and patio behind their building that's walled off by a giant grouping of pine trees. There must have been hundreds of birds up in the pine wall tweeting away. It was a brief moment of peace in our crowded urban space and it made me happy.

Other things that have made me smile today:


A recent gift from our friend Alice that traveled to India. Elephants are good luck.


This drawing done by my secretary Nicole on a poster advertising an ice-skating excursion.


My new door decs - "decorations" for those of you not familiar with Res Life speak.


Ruby slipper by RA Kaellen. Pumpkin by RA Alice. I Love the 90's by RA Sarah.


Hungry Caterpillar by RA Alice.

No comments:

Post a Comment