Friday, January 22, 2010

Ryan Bakes Bread

It was an adjustment to come back to work after two weeks of vacation during the holiday season. It was even more of a killer adjustment when staff came back, but now the residents are here and it's way too loud and boisterous. I've been sifting through piles of paperwork on my desk trying in vain to get things sorted out. I should know after three years that when you work with people things are never really sorted out. Doesn't matter what time of the year it is.

Additionally, I'm spending time thinking about writing cover letters for my impending job search. The key word is thinking. Somehow it plunges me into a sea of thoughts about where I'm at...where I've been... where I want to be...what I'm supposed to be doing... all things I really can't control. Also things that take away from the actual task I'm supposed to be accomplishing. But after college and graduate school I give myself the freedom to "think" for a good long while about whatever it is I have to write and give into the idea that ultimately all the cyclical thinking eventually gives way to something.

Meanwhile, Ryan has been productively baking bread. He's on a bread kick that is off and running. I dare not stand in the way! In the cupboard now we've got all purpose white flour, whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, King Arthur bread flour, corn meal, corn masa, wheat bran, tapioca flour, and sesame seeds.

Exhibit A: Pain ordinaire


Exhibit B: Pain ordinaire with sesame seeds


Exhibit C: Dutch Oven Boule (No-Knead)

1 comment: