Monday, March 28, 2011

Not Sure What Gives, I Just Keep Running Into Herb Kohl at Eastside Restaurants...

So yeah, I ran into Herb Kohl again last night. Apparently he likes hipster digs and sitting at the lunch counter.

About two years ago Ry and I were out to eat with my Mom at Zaffiro's on the East side of town. An aside, if you haven't been to Zaffiro's and you like pizza, go. It's amazing! We noticed some random older man in a well worn suit and a Buck's trucker hat sitting on the radiator. We weren't sure what was up with that. Apparently, that man was our US Senator Herb Kohl. After chillin' for a while he decided to get up and go table to table greeting people. He eventually came to our table and we had a little small talk. Ry taught a kid who is related to Kohl and he mentioned that. Then Senator Kohl sort of stared at my Mom for a while and gave her a light shoulder punch, a look, and then walked away. Yes, a shoulder punch. It was sort of weird, but made for a good story and didn't turn us off. A man of the people, right? Just a man of the people who likes to hang out at local East side dives and just happens to own our local NBA basketball team.

Last night we dined at Comet Cafe with two sweet people from near-rural Madtown area, Andy and Darcy! In addition to thanking Scott Walker for the clarity of purpose from this whole budget fiasco, I'll also thank him for more time with new, cool, teacher friends. We spent a ridiculously long time waiting for our "uber hip table" among the "uber hip crowd" crowd, but our food was good and we enjoyed drinks and chatter.

Toward the end of the meal, I noticed an old man sitting at the cafe counter. Slightly rumpled suit, adjustable trucker-looking baseball hat and fluffy white hair coming out the sides. Appeared to be reviewing a big pile of papers. I said, that's got to be Herb Kohl. Everyone sort of asked me, "really, you think so?" We recounted the Zaffiro's encounter and I said, yeah, I'm pretty d*mn sure. We mused this idea a bit then I agreed to walk over to the dessert case and feign a look at them so I could feign a look at our senator. Through neat piles of cupcakes and glass, I confirmed, it. Herb Kohl, definitely. Clandestine mission complete, we then debated if we should say hello to him and ask for a pic. Ry decided to go up to him and said "hey". It was a bit awkward, it drew some attention to him, but it was worth it. We thanked him, took a pic that didn't turn out and went on our merry way.

Random, completely random. But makes a good story part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment